Friday, November 8, 2013

Some May Wonder...Why Teach Coding???

I just finished a week of introducing coding to 3rd - 5th graders using the new coding game BotLogic. (Check out my post about BotLogic!)

I am certainly not an advanced coder myself.  I am largely self taught and I am married to a "coder" who helps fill in the gaps in my knowledge.  I know a few fundamentals and I seek out programs that teach those fundamentals.  What I do have is a belief that all student benefit from learning the basics of coding.  I recently found this YouTube video that led me to a great website called code.org


All students benefit from learning the logic of coding, whether they are going to become the next Mark Zuckerberg or Steve Jobs or not.  I know that years from now many of my students will not choose to make a living from coding, but statistically speaking, there is a high likelihood that some in the group will choose to pursue it.  Teaching them the basics of coding early might help spark their future!!